History of Station Square
In 1910 Forest Hills was a small village surrounded by thriving farms. Only 10 miles from the commercial district of Manhattan, its farms supplied fruits, vegetables and dairy products for the city's residents. On the corner of Austin Street stood a small grocery and butcher shop which had opened its doors in 1907 and in September of 1910 the first train departed from Penn Station on
the newly built line that connected Manhattan to Jamaica. The tracks were initially built at ground level and Forest Hills passengers could flag down trains to travel east or west to Long Island or to Manhattan. Two years later, in 1912, the grade was raised and work was begun to build a permanent station at Forest Hills.
In 1912 the Forest Hills Inn first opened its doors. In that year Queens Boulevard was being widened and soon a trolley would begin to carry passengers from the open fields of Forest Hills to the Queens Borough Bridge and across to Manhattan. A great mood of excitement was in the air as the streets of Forest Hills Gardens were being laid out and foundations were beginning to rise in Station Square and up the Terraces. From Ascan Avenue you could see all the way to Forest Park.
Urbanization was quickly spreading population outward from Manhattan's commercial center as city dwellers sought homes for their families outside the crowded urban centers yet still within commuting distance of the city. Anticipating this new trend in residential development, real estate developer, Cord Meyer, began purchasing farmland in the area of Whitepot, now Forest Hills, and formulating plans for its development.
In 1909 the Russell Sage Foundation purchased a tract of land from the Cord Meyer Corp. As a philanthropic organization, it was their plan to set a new standard for the design and development of suburban communities across the country which would revolutionize city planning, but at the same time they wished to demonstrate that such a venture could prove profitable for developers. Using as their model the Garden Cities of England, they planned to create a community of gently curving streets, community parks and commercial spaces for people of "moderate income and good taste, who appreciate sympathetic surroundings, but are tied close to the city by the nature of their occupation " (Forest Hills Gardens: What It Is, and What It Is Not, William DeForest, 1912.)
To accomplish this plan they engaged Grosvenor Atterbury to oversee architectural planning forthe community and Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr. to work with him in planning the landscaping for parks and public spaces. Incorporating the principles of city planning which were being developed in both Germany and England they wished to translate these principles into a uniquely American suburban "garden city" as an antidote to the crowded life of the cities and the boring grid patterns of city suburbs. The outcome of their plan was the community of Forest Hills Gardens.
Station Square has served not only as the transportation link for the community, but as it was conceived, has figured prominently in the social activities of Gardens residents. Community celebrations held in the Square on the 4th of July in the early years featured elaborate patriotic programs, parades, games and even a costume ball. Notable guests included Helen Keller in 1917 and Pres. Teddy Roosevelt, who gave his famous "100% American" speech to a huge gathering of community residents on July 4th of that same year. In 1919 a costume ball was held in the Square to celebrate the end of the Great War, the station was decked with allied flags and "Welcome Victors" signs greeted soldiers as their trains rolled past the Forest Hills station.
Ninety years after the first train arrived at the newly constructed Forest Hills station, the structure was showing serious structural deterioration. In 1996 the State Historic Preservation Office determined that the station met the criteria for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places and the following year, as a consequence of a campaign mounted by Friends of Station Square, the MTA/LIRR budgeted 5 million dollars to restore the Station "as it was originally designed." Upon completion of the Station in 1999, the Friends of Station Square mounted a $100,000 fundraising drive to landscape the station in the style of the original Olmsted plan.
Today Station Square still stands as the gateway into Forest Hills Gardens, a place where weary travelers return home from the city and where community residents come to enjoy its pleasant surroundings. When we enter Station Square we become participants in a living history. Although Forest Hills Gardens was an idealistic creation reflecting the ideals of early 20th Century urban planning, it remains a living and ever evolving community that continues to provide its residents with a village atmosphere within a short train ride of Manhattan's busy commercial centers.HISTORY